PAPUA New Guinea professional light weight boxer Junior Kauko Raka has clarified his stance regarding the recent publications against PNG Professional Boxing Control Board (PNGPBCB)
Raka said he would like to clarify what President of PNG Professional Boxing Gym, Mr. Elvin Wafewa have said to the media.
Mr. Wafewa said “some of our boxers like Junior Kauko Raka has been using his own funds to attend fight overseas without the support of the control board or promoters”.
Raka who had his first professional fight overseas in October 26, 2022 in Philippines said some of the claims published are true.
He said Wafewa stated about Raka having no support from any local promoters is true.
“Despite my efforts to seek funding from the government and other business houses, I was able to secure only one sponsor (Northern Property Valuers) who facilitated three airline tickets for my trainer, coach and myself.
Other support came from Bali Vitu Community association in Port Moresby.” Raka said.
However, he added that what Mr. Wafewa said about him not getting support from the PNG Professional Boxing Control Board (PNGPBCB) was out of context and unrelated to my career as a professional boxer.
Financially the board is not obligated to support any other professional boxers’ fight in both national and international.
“My fight overseas was supported by the PNGPBCB Chairman, Mr. Bernard Fong, through sanctions, approvals and licensing. From my understanding as a professional boxer, financial obligation or support comes from the boxers’ promoter or sponsors to facilitate training preparations before any fights,” Raka said.
The PNGPBCB is the regulatory body that legislates all individuals/organizations taking part in all aspects of professional boxing sporting code.
“I therefore, with all due respect stand to correct Mr. Elvin Wafewa’s statement and apologies for any unnecessary inconvenience it might have caused to the concerned parties.
Raka also stressed that there is a need for improvement in the contracts signing and the benefits between professional boxers and their promoters.
“I started my boxing career in 2017 under PNG Professional Boxing Gym who promoted my first professional bout. In 2019 I was approached by Oceania Fight Promotions (OFP) to take part in their events.
Since then, I have not been offered any contractual support or long-term benefits from either promoter. Basically, the main benefit is the single fight contract I sign every event that I am given the opportunity to take part in; despite not given the opportunity to negotiate the purse amount.”
Raka said from an amateur boxer to now a professional, he has seen and experienced a lot of boxers have shared blood and sweat in the ring for PNG.
“We’ve won medals and most importantly, recognition for our country. Now that we are pursuing a professional career in the sport we love, I wish to encourage boxing promoters in the country to make fair deals when promoting boxers in their events. I speak for myself and I believe also for other professional athletes in all sporting codes in the country,” Raka said.